Advancements in the medical industry have brought about many treatments and care options to support the health of each patient. In the past, there wasn’t much that could be done about vision loss. As doctors learn more about the cause of vision impairment, then better treatments can be developed to address the root cause.
Medical Advances in Optometry
Our modern world includes technology solutions that not only enhance vision but can also help treat or reverse certain conditions. Breakthroughs help people optimize their vision and protect against future vision loss. Here are a few of the ways the optometry industry is benefitting from technological advances in medicine:
- Diagnosis: The tools used during your eye exam are more accurate and effective in determining the right prescription to treat nearsightedness and farsightedness. When your eye doctor completes an exam, the goal is to identify each patient’s specific needs. Not only is the doctor determining the level of prescription that is needed, but these tests can also identify potential eye diseases in their earliest stages.
- Prescriptions: Once your eye doctor has a clear understanding of your vision, then prescription recommendations can be offered. Wearing glasses or contact lenses can correct vision loss, helping you see clearly throughout the day. These vision correction lenses are available with a variety of features, such as glare reduction, photochromic adaptive lenses, scratch-resistant coating, and UV protection.
- Multifocal Lenses: When a patient is experiencing presbyopia and nearsightedness, it’s inconvenient to switch between their regular glasses and reading glasses. Certain types of contact lenses and eyeglass lenses allow daily use that accommodate both near and far vision. These multifocal lenses provide a seamless transition without the discomfort of a blunt line between the prescriptions.
- Medications: Oral medications, injections, and eye drops can be an effective way to manage symptoms. The use of medicines varies from one patient to the next, depending on their diagnosis and the severity of symptoms.
- Surgery: The use of lasers for vision correction surgery helps to improve the accuracy of the procedure. Since these lasers are more precise than a scalpel in hand, it benefits the patient by speeding up the recovery time. Common types of surgery include LASIK, lens replacement, retina surgery, cataract surgery, and more.
The foundation of good eye care starts with regular visits to your optometrist. Our team is here to provide vision support for the entire family.
Personalized Recommendations to Protect Your Visit
We recognize that every person is unique, which is why there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution for every situation. When you choose our optometry team, you experience personalized services and in-depth diagnostics to get the root of the problem. Then, our proactive approach gives you access to the best treatment options that improve your vision and protect against vision loss in the future.
The process starts by scheduling an appointment with an experienced eye doctor. If you’d like to learn more, then reach out to our office to book a time so you can talk with a vision expert. These services are available for people of all ages. Make an appointment today!